BIBM784 – Product Development
Please contact the Student Enrolment & Information Centre to determine a module's availability
To examine the requirements for the effective management of the cross-functional activities in new product and service development, and critically evaluate appropriate tools and methods for achieving the best outcomes.
- Directed hours
- Self directed hours
- Total learning hours
- Learning Outcomes
- 1. Compare and contrast process frameworks for developing new products and services
2. Describe and critically evaluate the typical activities and best practices within the various
stages and sub-stages of a generic New Product/Service Development (NPD) Process
3. Design a customised NPD Process for a particular firm contingency
4. Identify and critically evaluate appropriate NPD tools and methods, and demonstrate
capability in applying some in a practical situation
5. Assess NPD performance
- - Development processes
- Product planning
- Identifying customer needs
- Product specifications
- Concept generation, selection and testing
- Product architecture
- Industrial design
- Design for manufacturing
- Product development economics
- Managing projects
- Teaching and Learning Strategy
- Teaching will involve blended delivery methods incorporating the Moodle online delivery platform. Other delivery methods my involve theoretical and practical classes, face to face, lectures, tutorials, workshops, group activities, guest tutors, field trips, role-play, and video conferencing, as appropriate.
- Assessment Criteria
- Candidates must achieve a minimum result of 40 in the final examination of this module. They must also achieve a minimum C grade pass overall from all assessments to receive a passing grade for the module.
- Learning and Teaching Resource
- Required Text:
An extended reading list will be supplied by the tutor at commencement of the module. This will be updated annually.