Business and Society
Students will acquire comprehensive skills in the implementation of business strategy that integrates corporate citizenship and recognises its inherent value in both social and economic terms. In addition, they will develop understanding of ethical issues in business including theory and reasoning, and business system development that responds to internal and external factors. This module exposes students to theoretical and pragmatic approaches to turning good practice into profitable futures. Students will examine a range of insights, concepts, ideas and theories of the sociology business and society of work and apply their understanding in societal and organisational contexts.
- Learning Outcomes
- 1. Apply pluralistic and non-pluralistic theories of society to understand industry dynamics
2. Critically evaluate theories of sociology as they apply in managerial or organisational
3. Analyse and implement strategies that address ethical and/or eco-sustainable issues and their societal consequences
4. Select a global issue and appraise its impact on corporate social performance with a global environment
- - Evolutionary theory
- Expectational gaps
- International political, economic and socio-cultural environments
- Corporate social responsibility and responsiveness
- Managing international stakeholder relations
- Contemporary issues that impact on business and society
- Internal and External
- Business, society and technology
- Managing business ethics in diverse societal environments
- Teaching and Learning Strategy
- Teaching will involve blended delivery methods incorporating the Moodle online delivery platform. Other delivery methods my involve theoretical and practical classes, face to face, lectures, tutorials, workshops, group activities, guest tutors, field trips, role-play, and video conferencing, as appropriate.
- Assessment Criteria
- Candidates must achieve a minimum result of 40 in assessment 3 of this module. They must also achieve a minimum C grade pass overall from all assessments to receive a passing grade for the module.
- Learning and Teaching Resource
- Required Text:
An extended reading list will be supplied by the tutor at commencement of the module. This will be updated annually.