BIBM771 – Strategic Management
Please contact the Student Enrolment & Information Centre to determine a module's availability
The aim of this module is to give the student an understanding of improving organisational effectiveness through the application of strategic management and management processes including a systematic set of strategic goals, plans and actions. Students will analyse and evaluate the application of strategic analysis, choice and implementation concepts of various management problems, practices and philosophies.
- Directed hours
- Self directed hours
- Total learning hours
- Learning Outcomes
- 1. Demonstrate conceptual understanding, tools and techniques fundamental to strategic
2. Critically evaluate strategic planning and examine its value to organisations
3. Critically evaluate a model of strategic management which contains three main parts;
strategic analysis, choice and implementation
4. Analyse the role of the strategic leader and the effect culture and ethics have in moving an
5. Research and evaluate a strategic management issue within a global context
- - The strategic management process
- The nature of competitive advantage; internal and external analysis
- Competitive advantage and functional-level strategy
- Competitive business-level strategy and industry environment
- Corporate strategy; vertical integration, diversification and strategic alliances
- Strategy in the global environment
- Strategy; leadership culture and ethics
- Designing organisational structure and matching structure and control, culture and reward
systems to strategy
- Managing strategic change and evaluating strategy performance
- Teaching and Learning Strategy
- Teaching will involve blended delivery methods incorporating the Moodle online delivery platform. Other delivery methods my involve theoretical and practical classes, face to face, lectures, tutorials, workshops, group activities, guest tutors, field trips, role-play, and video conferencing, as appropriate.
- Assessment Criteria
- Candidates must achieve a minimum result of 40 in the final examination of this module. They must also achieve a minimum C grade pass overall from all assessments to receive a passing grade for the module.
- Learning and Teaching Resource
- Required Text:
An extended reading list will be supplied by the tutor at commencement of the module. This will be updated annually.