ANML605 – Preparation for Practice
Please contact the Student Enrolment & Information Centre to determine a module's availability
Preparation for Practice
To prepare students for employment as a veterinary nurse in a veterinary environment.
- Directed hours
- Self directed hours
- Total learning hours
- Learning Outcomes
- 1:Provide safe and appropriate levels of advice and assistance within the veterinary nursing scope of practice to clients.
2:Create health and behaviour plans for common companion animals.
3:Understand and apply the principles of evidence-based practice in the veterinary environment.
4:Identify and initiate strategies to improve individual and team working practices and promote animal health and wellbeing.
- -Management of veterinary nursing services; including admission and discharge of patients; first aid and triage; veterinary software for specific functions (e.g. inventory management);
-Principles of customer service; client advice and guidance on such topics as behaviour problems, weight management, preventative health clinics nutrition, mating and reproductive treatment options; design and implementation of vet nurse consults and services
-Business proposals for sustainable veterinary services including costings and cost benefit analysis
-Veterinary Nursing Code of professional conduct; NZ Vet Association BESTPRACTICE accreditation scheme
-Professional practice attributes: Compliance with workplace health and safety requirements; knowledge of relevant legislation and animal welfare standards; effective communication skills; professional and ethical behaviour; cultural recognition and sensitivity; teamwork; accurate record-keeping; sustainable practice.
- Teaching and Learning Strategy
- Learning will be facilitated using a range of teaching and learning methods, which may include: tutor facilitated and directed presentations and/or lectures, practical or workshop sessions and activities, guest speakers from industry, demonstrations, online learning activities, scenarios and case studies.
- Assessment Criteria
- Assessment 1Portfolio of evidence1001, 2, 3