ANML601 – Advanced Anaesthesia and Theatre Practice
Please contact the Student Enrolment & Information Centre to determine a module's availability
Advanced Anaesthesia and Theatre Practice
To provide students with the necessary knowledge, attributes and skills to manage patient anaesthesia and analgesia, and to work effectively in the veterinary surgical environment.
- Directed hours
- Self directed hours
- Total learning hours
- Learning Outcomes
- Apply concepts and techniques of anaesthesia and analgesia to veterinary nursing practice.
Assess, monitor and respond appropriately to patients, pre-, peri-, and post-operatively.
Discuss and apply appropriate management of surgical environments, instrumentation and equipment for advanced surgical procedures.
- -Anaesthesia theory: stages and plans, anaesthetic risk, anaesthetic plans, anaesthetic drugs
-Analgesia theory: pain identification and scoring, types of pain, preventing pain, analgesic drugs
-Anaesthetic monitoring: patient parameters (pre-, peri-, and post-operative), documentation, trends, assessing depth
-Use, care, trouble-shooting and maintenance of anaesthetic and diagnostic monitoring equipment, e.g. ECG, Doppler, pulse oximetry, capnography, endoscope
-High risk anaesthesia: identification of patients and development of specific anaesthetic plans
-Specialised surgical equipment and procedures
-Advanced theatre practice: patient and theatre prep for advanced procedures
-Professional attributes: compliance with animal welfare standards and workplace health and safety requirements; professional and ethical behaviour; accurate record-keeping; communication skills; cultural recognition and sensitivity
- Teaching and Learning Strategy
- Learning will be facilitated using a range of teaching and learning methods, which may include: tutor facilitated and directed presentations and/or lectures, tutorial sessions, practical or workshop activities, field trips/industry visits, online learning activities, scenarios and case studies
- Assessment Criteria
- Assessment 1Portfolio of evidence1001, 2, 3