ANML502 – Introduction to Professional Practice
Please contact the Student Enrolment & Information Centre to determine a module's availability
Introduction to Professional Practice
To provide students with the necessary knowledge, attributes and skills to work as an effective team member in a professional animal care environment. Includes 20 hours work placement.
- Directed hours
- Self directed hours
- Total learning hours
- Learning Outcomes
- 1:Apply professional communication, interpersonal, and customer service skills and behaviours to develop effective relationships in a professional animal care environment
2:Undertake veterinary nursing assistant tasks in accordance with the veterinary nursing professional, ethical and legislative framework
3:Use appropriate information and communication technology, veterinary software and applications competently and effectively
- -Veterinary legislation and ethics which underpin veterinary nursing professional practice.
-Interpersonal communication skills for all audiences - peers, supervisors, subordinates, clients, industry.
-Stress and grief management to support clients and self.
-Team work and conflict resolution to enhance workplace productivity.
-Principles and practice in customer service
-Animal/client management software systems
-Retail and dispensing animal health products in accordance with relevant legislation.
-Professional practice attributes: Compliance with workplace health and safety requirements; knowledge of animal welfare standards; sustainable practice; professional and ethical behaviour; cultural recognition and sensitivity; teamwork; accurate record-keeping.
- Teaching and Learning Strategy
- Learning will be facilitated using a range of teaching and learning methods, which may include: tutor facilitated and directed presentations and/or lectures, tutorial sessions, peer presentations and review, guest speakers from industry, online learning activities, computer-based training and activities, case studies.
- Assessment Criteria
- Assessment 1Portfolio of evidence100
- Learning and Teaching Resource
- Wintec Animal House
Wintec Teaching Surgery and Labs
Industry Work placement
An extended reading list will be supplied by the tutor at commencement of the module. This will be updated annually.