ANML402 – Animal Husbandry
Please contact the Student Enrolment & Information Centre to determine a module's availability
provide students with the necessary knowledge, attributes and skills to maintain animal health and husbandry in a veterinary clinic. Includes 30 hours work placement.
- Directed hours
- Self directed hours
- Total learning hours
- Learning Outcomes
- 1:Describe and demonstrate the care and welfare of common companion animals in New Zealand.
2.Respond appropriately to the welfare and ethical issues that relate to the care of common companion animals.
3.Describe and apply appropriate methods for maintaining a hygienic environment for the management of companion animals.
4.Analyse the basic components of animal food and compare it to nutritional requirements of animals through life stages.
- -Care and welfare of common companion animals (e.g. cats, dogs, rabbits, guinea pigs, birds); common companion animal breeds
-Common diseases and parasites
-Legal and OSH principles for waste disposal, housing, transport and care of animals in a veterinary care facility; workplace health and safety; moral and ethical issues relating to animal health and husbandry.
-Decontamination, disinfection and sterilisation of equipment and premises to ensure OSH standards are met; barrier nursing to prevent disease transmission.
-Life stages and health conditions; preventative health programmes; fundamentals of nutrition for health and development of common companion species.
-Professional practice attributes: Knowledge of animal welfare standards; effective communication skills; sustainable practice; professional and ethical behaviour; cultural recognition and sensitivity; teamwork; accurate record-keeping.
- Teaching and Learning Strategy
- Learning will be facilitated using a range of teaching and learning methods, which may include: tutor facilitated and directed presentations and/or lectures; laboratory, practical or workshop sessions and activities; small and large group activities and discussions; guest speakers from industry; group and individual research; and online learning activities.
- Assessment Criteria
- Assessment 1Portfolio of evidence100
- Learning and Teaching Resource
- Wintec Animal House
Wintec teaching surgery and labs
Industry work placement
An extended reading list will be supplied by the tutor at commencement of the module. This will be updated annually.