Animal Hygiene and Health
To provide students with the necessary knowledge, attributes and skills to apply basic first aid to companion animals, maintain a hygienic environment and identify signs of ill health associated with common diseases and parasites and their control.
Includes 80 hours work experience in Animal House
Please note these are hours you are expected to do outside Wintec hours for this Module. For this module there are 60 hours self-directed time which equates to 4 hours a week.
- Learning Outcomes
- 1. Describe and apply appropriate methods for maintaining a hygienic animal
2. Explain and apply basic concepts in first aid and home-based care of common companion animals
3. Identify a range of conditions and the prevention strategies to maintain health of common companion animals and changes associated with ill health.
4. Maintain appropriate standards of professional behaviour and practice in the workplace.
5. Apply knowledge and skills within an animal care workplace
- • Maintain a hygienic environment
• Identification and prevention of zoonotic disease
• Identify signs of ill health
• Provide basic animal first aid to common companion animals, including cats, dogs, rabbits and rodents
• Respond to an animal emergency for common companion animals
• Relevant codes of practice for welfare
• Standards of professional practice and behaviour