ACCT513 – Budgeting and Taxation
Budgeting and Taxation
To enable students to prepare and use budgets as a management tool to monitor the performance of a business entity and apply tax rules for small businesses and individuals.
- Directed hours
- Self directed hours
- Total learning hours
- Learning Outcomes
- 1. Prepare a budget for a small business.
2. Monitor small business performance against budget
3. Identify and apply tax rules for individuals.
4. Identify and apply tax rules for a small business.
- - Purpose and limitations of budgets
- Budget preparation - income statement, balance sheet, cash budget, sales budget.
- Variance analysis for static budget variances
- Activity Budgets
- Flexible budgets
- Apply tax rules to individuals (IR3) and small businesses (including annual gross income,
annual deductions, tax credits, tax liabilities)
- Define and distinguish between a business and a hobby
- Concepts of employees and independent contractors
- GST introduction
- Professional practice attributes: Professional and ethical behaviours, effective and
appropriate communication skills, professional and ethical behaviours, cultural recognition
and sensitivity; teamwork, managing self and others, time management.
- Teaching and Learning Strategy
- Teaching will involve blended delivery methods incorporating the Moodle online delivery platform. Other delivery methods may involve theoretical and practical classes, face to face, lectures, tutorials, workshops, group activities, guest tutors, field trips, role-play, and video conferencing, as appropriate.
- Assessment Criteria
- Assessment in this module is mixed mode. The portfolio is comprised of multiple assessment tasks. Students must attempt and submit all assessments and achieve an overall pass mark of 50% across the portfolio to pass the module.
- Learning and Teaching Resource
- An extended reading list will be supplied by the tutor at commencement of the module. This will be updated annually.