Opportunities best for experienced payroll officers
Your chances of securing a job are best if you have payroll and leadership experience, as employers report difficulty finding skilled payroll officers.
Developments in payroll software, such as artificial intelligence that can detect payroll errors and automatically track and fix them, may reduce payroll officer numbers. However, vacancies are still common due to:
- a shortage of candidates applying for payroll manager roles, possibly because people are put off by widely reported breaches of the Holidays Act
- insufficient numbers of new payroll officers
- payroll officers often moving into other roles in accounting or human resources.
According to the Census, 3,513 payroll officers worked in New Zealand in 2018.
Types of employers varied
Payroll officers may work for:
- finance departments in small or large businesses
- specialised payroll companies.