Strong demand for auditors
Auditors are in demand due to:
- a growing economy, which means the number of businesses requiring audits is increasing
- stricter government regulations for private and public sector organisations, which need auditors to check for compliance
- an ageing workforce, with many auditors retiring.
Chances of getting work are best if you are an experienced auditor with strong problem-solving and people skills.
According to the Census, 2,178 external auditors and 951 internal auditors worked in New Zealand in 2018.
Most auditors employed by accounting firms
Most auditors work for accounting firms, which can range from small, local businesses to large, national or international firms.
Other types of businesses that employ auditors include:
- legal and financial firms
- large private companies and charities
- central and local government departments such as Audit New Zealand.