Ever wondered who installs, maintains and repairs the equipment and systems that control large industrial processes? This is one of those careers that most people don’t know exists but is vital to industries around the world. Trained instrumentation technicians, or “Instros” are in high demand in an extremely wide range of large process industries and Wintec is the only provider of qualifications in this industry sector in New Zealand. We have modern industry relevant training facilities and equipment, and our tutors keep up to date with the latest technology advances in this field.
Accuracy, precision, and attention to detail are the catch cries of this career pathway. As an Industrial Measurement and Control Technician you will be sought after by employers in a wide range of process industries such as petro-chemicals, pulp and paper, wood products, dairy products, metal refining, other food industries such as baking, meats and brewing production, water and waste water treatment, and power generation.
You could be permanently employed by a company in any of these industries or work for contractors who service them. Your job will include testing, calibrating and servicing equipment and systems for these complex plants whilst ensuring all safety and industry standards are met.
Most prospective IMC technicians enter this career path after firstly qualifying and working as an industrial electrician but there are also opportunities for people from other industry areas, including a mechanical trade background, to advance in this field.
- Certificate in Introduction to Study (Level 2)
- Certificate in Introduction to Study (Level 4)
- Industrial Measurement and Control (Theory 4) - this programme is the 'off-job' trade level qualification for industrial measurement and control in New Zealand
- Industrial Measurement and Control (Practice 4) - pending approval
- Process Control & Automation 5 - this programme is the 'advanced trade' level qualification for people involved in either industrial measurement and control or in automation industries.
Wintec can also help get your on-job competencies assessed.
You can also check out other programmes and career options in Automotive, Building Design & Construction, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering & Fabrication or Plumbing, Gasfitting and Roofing.