SPHP508 – Lifestyle, Nutrition and Health
Please contact the Student Enrolment & Information Centre to determine a module's availability
Lifestyle, Nutrition and Health
To enable students to become informed, responsible and proactive in the promotion of personal health. Factors that affect health will be examined and the potential role of lifestyle choices in the maintenance and improvement of health status will be discussed.
- Directed hours
- Self directed hours
- Total learning hours
- Learning Outcomes
- 1.Describe current health trends in New Zealand and the western world.
2.Discuss and evaluate disease status in the community as a factor of lifestyle choice.
3.Identify the role of physical activity as preventative medicine.
4.Discuss the role of nutrition on health and wellness.
5.Identify the contribution of other lifestyle factors to health and wellness.
- Health and wellness
Lifestyle, health and disease
Lifestyle determinants of health
Nutrition and health
-Macronutrients: Carbohydrate, fat, protein, alcohol
-Micronutrients: Vitamins and minerals, RDI's
-Nutrient recommendations for health
- Teaching and Learning Strategy
- Lectures will be used to introduce key themes and main topics to the students. Tutorial will develop concepts further through kinaesthetic or visual tasks. The assignments will encourage reflection on important concepts taught throughout the year.
- Assessment Criteria
- Candidates must achieve a minimum result of 40 in the final examination of this module. They must achieve a minimum C grade pass overall from assessments to receive a passing grade for this module.
- Required Textbooks
- An extended reading list will be supplied by the tutor at commencement of the course. This will be updated annually.