To develop an understanding of the theoretical foundations of motor development and physical literacy. The student will understand the individual nature of physical literacy and its relationship to motivation, confidence, physical competence, knowledge and understanding that establishes purposeful physical pursuits throughout all stages of life.
- Learning Outcomes
- 1.Discuss the concept of physical literacy and its importance in human development.
2.Understand the stages in the development of human locomotion, and ballistic and manipulative skills.
3.Examine the importance of perceptual-motor development in children and its impact on their intellectual, emotional and moral development.
- -Theoretical foundations in motor development and physical literacy
-Physical growth, maturation and aging
-Development of motor skills and physical literacy across the life span
-Development of human locomotion
-Development of ballistic skills
-Development of manipulative skills
-Intellectual, Emotional and Moral Development
-Motor abilities and individual differences
-Functional constraints to motor development and physical literacy
- Teaching and Learning Strategy
- Lectures will be used to introduce key themes and main topics to the students. Tutorial will develop concepts further through kinaesthetic or visual tasks. The assignments will encourage reflection on important concepts taught throughout the year.
- Assessment Criteria
- Candidates must achieve a minimum C grade pass overall from assessments to receive a passing grade for this module.
- Required Textbooks
- An extended reading list will be supplied by the tutor at commencement of the course. This will be updated annually.