SHPG009 – Professional Practice
Please contact the Student Enrolment & Information Centre to determine a module's availability
To provide students with advanced experience in the application and practice of consulting in specialist areas of sport and exercise science.
- Directed hours
- Self directed hours
- Total learning hours
- Learning Outcomes
- Learning Outcomes and Performance Criteria
On completion of the course, students will be able to:
1Employ expertise in the practice of sport and exercise science consultancy pertaining to their specialist discipline
Written, oral, technical, teaching, consulting and any other duties representative of the practice will be performed to the satisfaction of the supervising practitioner.
Responsibility, accountability and professional behaviour are demonstrated to the satisfaction of the supervising practitioner.
Application of knowledge and skills: interpersonal, technical, problem solving, analytical, organisational and entrepreneurial are demonstrated to the satisfaction of the supervising practitioner.
2Critically evaluate their role as a consultant
A written reflective journal and logbook of activities is maintained.
Self-evaluations of performance are conducted.
A major report is submitted for assessment.
- Students will be allocated a professional practitioner in the Major area of their study who will act as their mentor and supervisor of their professional studies. Students will report to and be accountable to their supervising practitioner. A job description of duties to be performed will be agreed with the student and a learning contract prepared.
- Teaching and Learning Strategy
- This course involves supervised work experience of the student. Some contact tuition time will be spent developing processes, methods and plans for arranging clients for the consultancy practice. Directed study will be utilised as students will be required to research specific subjects related to their specialist area and the writing of journals, log books and reports.
- Recommended Readings
- An extended reading list will be supplied by the lecturer at commencement of the module. This will be updated annually.