To provide the student with the knowledge required to operate and monitor a range of dairy manufacturing equipment and processes.
- Learning Outcomes
- Learning Outcomes:
On the successful completion of this module the student will be able to:
1.Clearly demonstrate the principles underpinning homogenisation, centrifugal separation and demineralisation within dairy manufacturing.
2.Interpret flow charts necessary for the efficient monitoring and operation of dairy manufacturing processes.
3.Apply the principles of fluid mechanics and ion exchange to dairy process operations.
4.Explain the principles underpinning the operation of pumps and pipelines, membrane separation processes and heat exchangers.
- - Homogenization
- Centrifugal separation
- Flow charts
- Membrane separation processes
- Ion exchange
- Heat exchangers
- Fluid mechanics
- Pumps and pipelines
- Introduction to efficiency and speed profiles
- Teaching and Learning Strategy
- Teaching and learning methods will include:
- Inquiry based learning, problem solving and discussion
- Online Moodle activities
- Visits to dairy manufacturing plants
- Practical activities in engineering laboratories
- Theoretical face-to-face and online sessions including workbooks, lectures, group activities, discussion, independent learning, and assignments
- Industry based activities and assessments.
- Learning and Teaching Resource
- An extended reading list will be supplied by the lecturer at commencement of the module which will be updated annually.
Access to engineering laboratory facilities and equipment will be required for this module.
Access to dairy manufacturing plants.