NURS811 – Nursing Practice with the Older Adult
Nursing Practice with the Older Adult
This module is designed to enable Registered Nurses to advance their knowledge and skills in critical gerontology. The module fosters an approach to learning that supports critical inquiry in this area of nursing practice. Students will explore and deconstruct discourses of aging that limit the potential of nurses to work collaboratively with older adults within their specific contexts. The expected outcome for students is the development of innovative health promoting practice development. The development will be informed by multiple ways of thinking and awareness of the deeply ethical nature of nursing practice.
- Directed hours
- Self directed hours
- Total learning hours
- Learning Outcomes
- 1.Understand and incorporate knowledge of the diverse realties of older adults in their practice.
2.Critically analyse and utilise health promoting approaches that enhance the well-being of older adults and family / whnau.
3.Critically analyse and employ evidence-based research to inform practice development.
4.Critically examine legal, ethical and professional responsibilities in practice with older adults.
- -Evidence-based inquiry approaches to inform practice development
-Epidemiologic and demographic trends
-Health care policy, trends and approaches to older adults
-Current approaches to working with older adults in cultural contexts
-Psychosocial and psycho-spiritual transitions
-Ethical, legal and professional responsibilities for practice
-Cultural safety and the Treaty of Waitangi
-Practice development and leadership
-Balancing dependent and independent needs
-Participatory approaches to practice development
-Death and dying
-Person centred approaches to working with people with dementia
- Teaching and Learning Strategy
- Teaching and learning methods in this online web enabled module will involve theoretical and online sessions including tutorials, workshops, group activities, discussion, independent learning, and assignments. Inquiry based teaching approaches will engage students in learning activities that draws on practice experiences, facilitating knowledge and skill development within their area of practice.
- Assessment Criteria
- Online discussionsShort asynchronous discussions10
Evaluation of a developmental modelEssay 30
Practice development Report and presentation60