NURS806 – Registered Nurse Prescribing Practicum
Registered Nurse Prescribing Practicum
This practicum will enable registered nurses to develop knowledge and skills for prescribing and meet the Nursing Council of New Zealand competency requirements for prescribing in long term and common conditions.
- Directed hours
- Self directed hours
- Total learning hours
- Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate advanced health assessment, diagnostic decision making and clinical reasoning skills, recognising the significance of client contextual data including current drug therapies.
Articulate knowledge of pharmacotherapeutics and its evidence base for safe prescribing practice including pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic principles and recognition of interactions and contraindications.
Collaborate with the health team to make safe prescribing decisions in planning interventions with clients and families including prescribing medications or appliances.
Evaluate therapeutic plans and manage responses to drug therapy including adverse drug reactions and interactions, and situations of drug misuse.
- -Case review frameworks for prescribing
-Application of evidence based clinical decision making in prescribing
-Interpreting diagnostic data for safe prescribing interventions
-Application of pharmacodynamics & pharmacokinetics to client variables
-Recognising indications for common classes of drugs in long term conditions
-Understanding prescribing implications of antimicrobial resistance
-Recognising contraindications, effects and interactions
-Managing adverse drug reactions and interactions
-Responding to drug misuse and drug seeking behaviours
-Sustaining collaborative practice and supervision
-Using strategies to evaluate own practice
- Teaching and Learning Strategy
- During this practicum, students will be supervised by a designated authorised prescriber and Nurse Practitioner, who will support the student's practice development towards achieving the competency requirements for registered nurse prescribing. Information about the requirements for clinical supervision are included in the Handbook for the registered nurse prescribing practicum.
- Assessment Criteria
- Portfolio8 - 10 Mini case reviews100
Practicum Competency assessment against NCNZ Competencies for registered nurse prescribing.Pass