Integrated Science and Assessment
This module aims to prepare registered nurses to develop advanced understanding of pathophysiology in complex health states. The integration of bioscience at cellular level, scientific evidence, empirical knowledge, comprehensive health history and physical assessment, and clinical reasoning facilitates the identification of actual and potential health needs in specific communities and populations.
- Learning Outcomes
- Integrate and articulate advanced knowledge in anatomy, physiology and pathophysiology to underpin comprehensive health history and physical assessment.
Demonstrate advanced physical assessment techniques and skills using a systematic and reasoned approach.
Critically evaluate epidemiological data in relation to disease processes in specific populations.
Critically analyse diagnostic test results, microbiology, biochemistry and comprehensive assessment data and synthesise knowledge to develop differential diagnoses.
Apply critical reasoning to develop an evidence based therapeutic plan of care in collaboration with the client and the interprofessional team.
- Relevant anatomy, physiology and pathophysiology
-Epidemiology related to specific communities and populations
-Interpretation and analysis of diagnostic tests and laboratory results
-Applied critical thinking and clinical reasoning
-Critique of contemporary of research as evidence base for best practice
-Comprehensive health assessment including cultural, psychosocial and spiritual influences on patients' experience of health and illness and physical assessment
- Teaching and Learning Strategy
- Teaching and learning methods in this web enabled module include: workshop days, online science tests and activities, simulation, group work, online discussion forums, independent learning, written assignments and practical skills labs. Viva voce (verbal response to a clinical scenario).
- Assessment Criteria
- Assessment 1: Science tests x430
Assessment 2:Critical case review40
Assessment 3: Practical Examination- physical examination and a viva voce scenario30