LANG461 – Level 4 (Employment) - Speaking
Level 4 (Employment) - Speaking
This module aims to develop speaking skills to meet employment needs of students at a CEFR mid B2 level. They will be able to participate in discussions and give clear, detailed descriptions and presentations on a wide range of subjects related to their field of employment.
- Directed hours
- Self directed hours
- Total learning hours
- Learning Outcomes
- Participate in a wide range of work-related situations, providing concrete and some abstract information in small group discussions or meetings.
Give detailed presentations about events to describe or compare and contrast at least two events and/or procedures.
Give instructions and directions for technical and non-technical work-related tasks, procedures and processes.
- normal speech rate with fluency and some spontaneity
- clear and relatively natural pronunciation and intonation .
- confidently speech is expressed with regard for relevant conventions
- simple and some complex structures and connect ideas.
- adaptation of style and register
- Engagement in a range of face-to-face spoken interactions in an academic context.
A list of grammar and language functions can be found in the Overview of Content for the Writing module.
- Teaching and Learning Strategy
- Key approaches to instruction include selection of authentic and semi-authentic language models; clear contextualisation and effective presentation of new language; varied interaction – individual, pair, group, whole-class activities; information-gap activities; task-based activities; integration of skills; focus on accuracy and fluency; effective treatment of errors; valid and reliable assessment; integration of current technologies
- Assessment Criteria
- The portfolio is comprised of multiple assessment tasks, not tests alone. To pass this module, students must attempt all assessment tasks.
- Learning and Teaching Resource
- An extended reading list will be supplied by the tutor at commencement of the course. This will be updated annually.