INFO501 – Professional Practice
To enable students to apply professional, legal, and ethical principles and practices in a socially responsible manner as an emerging IT professional, and apply communication, personal and interpersonal skills to enhance effectiveness in an IT role.
- Directed hours
- Self directed hours
- Total learning hours
- Learning Outcomes
- 1. Demonstrate an understanding of and apply professional, sustainable, socially responsible
and ethical principles; accessibility and equity principles; and ethical work practice
2. Demonstrate an understanding of privacy and security responsibilities, relevant legislation,
industry codes of practices, and codes of conduct
3. Explain the application of the Treaty of Waitangi in the context of information technology
4. Conduct oral and visual presentations, and apply research literacy, referencing, information
design, report and technical writing skills
5. Demonstrate personal and interpersonal skills, including self-management, teamwork,
customer-service, and relationship management, social and multicultural awareness.
- - Social and responsible ethical behaviour
- Sustainable practices
- Relevant legislation
- The Treaty of Waitangi
- Characteristics of written communication
- Simple research processes
- Effective writing skills
- Fundamentals of research
- Effective presentations
- Customer service and relationship management
- Cultural awareness
- Technical writing
- Utilisation of communication tools
- Time management
- Teaching and Learning Strategy
- Teaching methods will involve theoretical and practical classes which may include but not limited to lectures, class discussions, tutorials, case studies, simulations, computer laboratory work, group activities, face-to-face and online activities.
- Assessment Criteria
- In order to receive a passing grade, students must achieve a minimum 40% average over all supervised tests and achieve 50% overall for the module.
- Learning and Teaching Resource
- Wintec Learning Management Systems, Computer Laboratory
- Required Textbooks
- An extended reading list will be supplied by the tutor at commencement of the module. This will be updated annually.