Kaupapa Arotake / Development of Counselling Practice
To integrate bicultural counselling knowledge and skills for reflective practice in the context of Aotearoa New Zealand.
- Learning Outcomes
- 1. Integrate counselling knowledge and skills as a bicultural counsellor to provide effective, ethical and professional counselling practice in the context of Aotearoa New Zealand.
2. Critique relevant counselling theory, models, and research, including Maaori and Western approaches.
3. Critically analyse and demonstrate reflective and reflexive practice.
4. Demonstrate the practice of communicating professional judgements and collaborating within a professional context.
- This module will include a minimum of 110 hours of practicum (including 60 hours face-to-face counselling). NB: Students doing the addictions and mental health pathway must be in a practicum that specialises in alcohol, drug and mental health.
- Counselling theory and research, including Maaori and Western approaches
- Reflective and reflexive practice
- Effective, ethical and professional counselling practice
- Reflection of practice experience with whaanau/ tangata whaiora and supervision
- Providing and receiving peer feedback
- Collaboration in the professional context
- Application of counselling knowledge and skills
- Teaching and Learning Strategy
- May include: Project-based Learning; Flipped Classroom; Blended Learning; Work-Integrated Learning; Inclusive Practices.
Methods may include workshops and practical classes, tutorials, case-based learning, inquiry-based learning, group activities & discussion, supported online learning, e-portfolio, practice simulation.
- Assessment Criteria
- The portfolio is comprised of multiple components.
Students need to provide evidence against all learning outcomes, and gain an overall mark of 50% to pass this module.
Students must meet all the practicum placement requirements, including complete a minimum of 110 hours of practicum (including 60 hours face-to-face counselling) to be eligible to complete this module.