HORT348 – Amenity Border Plants
Amenity Border Plants
The aim of this module is to develop student’s skill and knowledge in the identification of ephermerals, annuals, herbaceous perennials, and bulbs and their use in amenity horticulture
- Directed hours
- Self directed hours
- Total learning hours
- Teaching and Learning Strategy
- As per Ako: Teaching and Learning Directions – may include; Project-based learning; Flipped Classroom; Blended Learning; Work-integrated Learning; Inclusive Practices
- Learning Outcomes
- 1. Describe the life cycles and types of underground plant structures of ephermerals, annuals, herbaceous perennials, biennials, bulbs and how life cycles determine their use in horticulture
2. Identify a range of ephermerals, annuals, herbaceous perennials, biennials, bulbs used in amenity horticulture in accordance with workplace procedures.
- - Life cycles of ephermerals, annuals, herbaceous perennials, biennials, bulbs and types of underground plant structures
- How life cycles of ephermerals, annuals, herbaceous perennials, biennials, bulbs, and types of underground plant structures determine their typical use in horticulture
- Identification of annuals, herbaceous perennials, biennials, and bulbs, as pressed, dried and mounted, or photographed.
- Identification of plant specimens correctly showing foliage, stem, and flowers.
- Labeling plant specimens correctly; covering; genus, species, cultivar or variety where appropriate, common name, family name, identifying features, plant type, plant use, cultural requirements, date and site collected or photographed.
- Assessment Criteria
- Assessment in this module is mixed mode. Students must gain a minimum mark of 50% in the achievement-based assessments and meet all the requirements of the competency-based assessments including carrying out all tasks in a safe manner and to industry standard to be eligible for a final grade for this module. The final grade will be based on the marks from the achievement-based assessment tasks. Where there are only competency components, pass or fail will be awarded.
- Learning and Teaching Resource
- ? Tutorial notes, exercises and readings, flexible, blended learning focus on content and material as projects for project based learning.
? Interactive Moodle platform
? Work integration in amenity type organizations.