EDUC0609 – Practicum Two
To actively participate in an early childhood education context that differs from their field-based practice setting.
- Directed hours
- Self directed hours
- Total learning hours
- Learning Outcomes
- Students will be able to:
1. Examine the role of the early childhood teacher in their practicum context and relate this to their own practice.
2. Identify and evaluate how the unique philosophy of the early childhood education practicum context informs practice.
3. Critique how the early childhood education practicum curricula is implemented and responds to akonga.
- • Collegial and collaborative teaching, including professional practice and relationships.
• Reflective practice.
• Unpacking the standards for the teaching profession and understanding the code of professional responsibility.
• Pedagogy and philosophy of the practicum setting.
• Te ao Maaori including practicing and developing meaningful use of te reo me nga tikanga Maaori in an early childhood education context.
- Teaching and Learning Strategy
- Project-based learning; Blended Learning; Work-integrated Learning; Inclusive Practices.
- Assessment Criteria
- The portfolio is comprised of multiple components. Students need to provide sufficient evidence against all learning outcomes and gain an overall mark of at least 50% and must pass the practical competency-based assessment in order to pass this module.
- Learning and Teaching Resource
- • Students are in a Wintec, selected, approved and arranged Practicum placement for 30 hours per week for four consecutive weeks, supervised by an approved and paid Associate Teacher
• 1x Lecturer visit = three hours per student, includes a three-way meeting with the Associate Teacher
• Web enhanced
- Recommended Readings
- Relevant required and recommended readings and resources will be updated annually prior to delivery of the module to ensure currency of the literature and resources. The annual required and recommended reading list will be provided to the students in Bachelor of Teaching (Early Years) annual Booklist and Student Module Booklet.