EDUC0607 – Investigating Education in Aotearoa New Zealand
Investigating Education in Aotearoa New Zealand
To engage students with historical and contemporary issues that influence education in Aotearoa New Zealand.
- Directed hours
- Self directed hours
- Total learning hours
- Learning Outcomes
- Students will be able to:
1. Examine and appraise key political ideologies impacting education.
2. Explore and consider implications for communities, whanau and tamariki of societal and economic factors, in relation to education.
3. Investigate and analyse cultural diversity and its significance to education.
- • Historical and contemporary constructs of child, childhood and education.
• Concepts of advocacy and lobbying.
• Theoretical, historical and cultural impacts and influences on education including policy and reforms.
• Unpacking the standards for the teaching profession and understanding the code of professional responsibility.
- Teaching and Learning Strategy
- Inquiry-based learning; Flipped Classroom; Blended Learning; Work-integrated Learning; Inclusive Practices; Reflective Practice.
- Assessment Criteria
- The portfolio is comprised of multiple components. Students need to provide sufficient evidence against all learning outcomes and gain an overall mark of at least 50% in order to pass this module.
- Learning and Teaching Resource
- • Academic staff with relevant qualifications, knowledge and skills in early childhood education
• Specialist guest speakers
• Web enhancement
• Appropriate classroom
• Agreement with Field-based Practice placement to support student with their study commitments
• Face to face, Wananga, online, blended, self-directed, applied learning
- Recommended Readings
- Relevant required and recommended readings and resources will be updated annually prior to delivery of the module to ensure currency of the literature and resources. The annual required and recommended reading list will be provided to the students in Bachelor of Teaching (Early Years) annual Booklist and Student Module Booklet.