To introduce students to the fundamentals of typeface design. The course will cover a range of type design tools and practices enabling students to develop custom digital typefaces in relation to a given context.
- Learning Outcomes
- On completion of this module students will be able to:
1. Critically select and apply appropriate type design tools and practices
2. Analyse codes and conventions of type design
3. Demonstrate ability to act and think through a reflective process
- • History of typography
• Type design process overview
• Principles of type design
• Contextual Research
• Technical Skills
- Teaching and Learning Strategy
- Blended – methods will involve online activities, ePortfolio, tutorials, lectures, workshops, group activities, guest speakers, field trips, critiques, collaborative projects, as appropriate.
- Assessment Criteria
- The portfolio is comprised of multiple components. Students must complete all assessments and gain an overall mark of 50% in order to pass this module.
- Learning and Teaching Resource
- • Studio and presentation spaces
• Domain-specific software and tools, including industry-spec computers.