DE6205 – Water and Wastewater Systems
Water and Wastewater Systems
To evaluate the requirements of, and design water, waste water and storm water reticulation systems.
- Total learning hours
- Learning Outcomes
- On successful completion of this course, the student should be able to:
1. Analyse water supply and demand requirements, and design a small water reticulation system.
2. Evaluate hydrological parameters and design an urban storm water management system.
3. Determine waste water quantities and design a waste water reticulation system.
4. Appraise the requirements of water and waste water pumping installations and optimise design.
5. Evaluate integrated water management approaches.
- ? Water supply sources; Water demand; Water reticulation system components; Water reticulation analysis; Reticulation installation and maintenance; Water reservoirs.
? Hydrological cycle; Surface run-off determination; Infiltration; Storm water reticulation components and design; Storm water buffering; Storm water disposal; Impact of storm water run-off.
? Waste water sources and quantities; Waste water collection and reticulation system components design and maintenance.
? Pump station layout and components; Variable capacity requirements; Sump capacity Series, parallel and variable pump operation; Pump system (sump, pump and rising main) optimisation
? More efficient use of water, water metering, recycled water.
- Assessment Criteria
- Assignments/Projects 35%