PLC Programming 1
To develop understanding and application skills for the programming of PLCs in solving simple industrial problems
- Learning Outcomes
- 1. Demonstrate knowledge of programmable logic controller hardware concepts.
2. Demonstrate and apply knowledge of programmable logic controller software concepts.
3. Demonstrate knowledge of systems associated with PLCs.
4. Demonstrate and apply to a real world problem any three of 6 IEC61131 programming languages, but typically - ladder, function block, and SFC.
- • Power supply, processor, I/O modules, backplane, programming facilities, memory, scan cycle
• Hardwiring to PLC (power supply, earthing, discrete and analogue I/O modules, source circuits, sink circuits)
• Ladder logic programming
• Simple application programs using discreet I/O
• Counters, timers, shift registers, sequencers, simple arithmetic
• Comparison of programming languages in IEC 61131-3
• PLC systems
- Assessment Criteria
- Assignments, Tests20%
Laboratory (Practical)* 40%
*see section 3.5 of regulations