COOK404 – Complex Hot Kitchen
Complex Hot Kitchen
To enable students to continue to develop, understand and increase their skill level and ability to prepare and present a range of fish and seafood dishes in accordance with industry standards and professional practice; and gain an understanding of the importance of nutrition in the hospitality industry.
- Directed hours
- Self directed hours
- Total learning hours
- Learning Outcomes
- 1: Apply the skills and knowledge to prepare, cook and present a range of dishes associated
with a hot kitchen environment, employing complex preparation and presentation
techniques in accordance with industry standards.
2: Monitor and maintain health and safety, food safety and security practices to ensure own
safety and minimise potential hazards for customers.
3: Understand and put into practice a knowledge of nutrition and dietary requirements in
4: Maintain appropriate standards of professional behaviour and practice in the workplace.
- - Additional development of practical skills and cookery methods; complex cookery
preparation techniques; preparation and presentation to include;
- Fish Dishes
- Seafood Dishes
- Accompaniments and Sauces
- Introduction to nutrition and its applications
- Health and Safety, food safety and security practices
- Professional behaviour and practice attributes: reliability, punctuality, communication skills,
teamwork, professional appearance, and personal presentation.
- Teaching and Learning Strategy
- Theoretical face to face and web-supported sessions including;
Lectures, tutorials, discussion, group activities, self-directed learning, practical workshops, assignments and project based learning.
- Assessment Criteria
- The portfolio is comprised of multiple assessment tasks. To pass this module all tasks must be submitted and an overall minimum pass mark of 50% is required. .
- Learning and Teaching Resource
- - Two fully-equipped commercial kitchens and a production kitchen incorporating a range of
facilities and commercial catering equipment
- An operational commercial training restaurant
- Online resources accessible in all classrooms and in the restaurant
- Evidence portfolios
An extended reading list will be supplied by the tutor at commencement of the module. This will be updated annually.