Cookery Fundamentals 2
To enable students to develop the necessary knowledge, understanding and skills to prepare and present a range of vegetable, egg and farinaceous dishes in accordance with industry standards and professional practice.
- Learning Outcomes
- 1: Apply the skills and knowledge to cook and present hot dishes using a range of cooking
methods in accordance with industry standards.
2: Monitor and maintain health and safety, food safety and security practices to ensure own
safety and minimise potential hazards for customers.
3: Maintain appropriate standards of professional behaviour and practice in the workplace.
- - Further development of practical skills and cookery methods; complex cookery preparation
techniques; preparation and presentation to include;
- Vegetable Dishes
- Egg Dishes
- Pasta Dishes
- Rice Dishes
- Underpinning theory for preparation and presentation of hot dishes
- Health and Safety, food safety and security practices
- Professional behaviour and practice attributes: reliability, punctuality, communication skills,
teamwork, professional appearance, and personal presentation.
- Teaching and Learning Strategy
- Theoretical face to face and web-supported sessions including;
Lectures, tutorials, discussion, group activities, self-directed learning, practical workshops in training kitchens and restaurant, assignments and project based learning.
- Assessment Criteria
- The portfolio is comprised of multiple assessment tasks. To pass this module all tasks must be submitted and an overall minimum pass mark of 50% is required. .
- Learning and Teaching Resource
- - Two fully-equipped commercial kitchens and a production kitchen incorporating a range of
facilities and commercial catering equipment
- An operational commercial training restaurant
- Online resources accessible in all classrooms and in the restaurant
- Evidence portfolios
An extended reading list will be supplied by the tutor at commencement of the module. This will be updated annually.