COMC402 – Infection Control Principles and Application in Primary Care Practice
Infection Control Principles and Application in Primary Care Practice
This module provides students with an introduction to micro-organisms and the principles of infection control in a primary care practice setting. Students will perform related clinical tasks under the direction and delegation of a regulated health professional. Includes 50 hours of work placement.
- Total learning hours
- Learning Outcomes
- Understand and apply infection control principles in practice.
Perform routine clinical tasks in a primary care practice setting under direction and delegation.
Maintain appropriate standards of professional behaviour in the workplace.
- -Infection control principles - handwashing and hygiene; universal/standard precautions; Infection control policies and procedures
-Chain of infection
-Introduction to micro-organisms
-Professional behaviours including personal hygiene and presentation; responsibility; accountability; understanding of people, whnau and/or family safety; cultural safety; following instructions; time-management; ethical behaviour
- Teaching and Learning Strategy
- Teaching and learning methods will be online delivery with work-based skills development, project based interactive tasks, with online group sessions, video conference tutorials, and creation of e-portfolios of evidence.
- Assessment Criteria
- Portfolio of Evidence 100
The e-portfolio components could consist of a combination of any of the following: test, assignment, presentation, examination, project or formal report. These could be group or individual assessments.
The weight of the overall assessment is equally distributed across learning outcomes.