BIBM676 – Principles of Leadership
Please contact the Student Enrolment & Information Centre to determine a module's availability
Principles of Leadership
Students will understand concepts and apply principles of leadership. Students will create a personal plan to develop leadership capabilities.
- Directed hours
- Self directed hours
- Total learning hours
- Learning Outcomes
- 1. Analyse and evaluate a range of perspectives on leadership relevant to different
management levels within organisational and situational contexts
2. Analyse and evaluate approaches to leadership relevant within diverse cultural contexts
3. Discuss and demonstrate their understanding of the influence of a range of factors on
4. Apply leadership contemporary knowledge and skills to the management of change
5. Students will evaluate their current leadership abilities, strengths and weaknesses, and
create their own leadership development plan
- - Leadership concepts: behaviours, traits, skills, attitudes, knowledge, contemporary
- Situational factors of leadership, e.g. levels of management. Stages in the business life cycle
- The link with strategy
- Cultural aspects, e.g. organisational, ethnic; perceptions, e.g. own, others, multi-cultural
- Self-assessment processes, e.g. leadership frame of reference for practice and
development; personal development planning
- Leadership and change management
- Leadership and different business entities, e.g. large, small; profit, not-for-profit; private,
- Social responsibility and leadership, e.g. ethics, responsibility to stakeholders, community,
- Teaching and Learning Strategy
- Teaching will involve blended delivery methods incorporating the Moodle online delivery platform. Other delivery methods my involve theoretical and practical classes, face to face, lectures, tutorials, workshops, group activities, guest tutors, field trips, role-play, and video conferencing, as appropriate.
- Assessment Criteria
- Candidates must achieve a minimum result of 40 in the final examination of this module. They must also achieve a minimum C grade pass overall from all assessments to receive a passing grade for the module.
- Learning and Teaching Resource
- Required Text:
An extended reading list will be supplied by the tutor at commencement of the module. This will be updated annually.