ANML506 – Diagnostic Techniques
Please contact the Student Enrolment & Information Centre to determine a module's availability
To provide students with the necessary knowledge, attributes and skills to collect basic diagnostic samples from common companion animals, assist with diagnostic imaging and perform routine laboratory work. Includes 40 hours work placement.
- Directed hours
- Self directed hours
- Total learning hours
- Learning Outcomes
- 1:Apply best practice for laboratory techniques and collection of diagnostic samples from common companion animals
2:Explain basic microbial concepts in relation to a hygienic animal environment, sample collection and processing.
3:Assist with animal diagnostic imaging within the constraints of health and safety requirements
4:Maintain appropriate workplace standards of professional practice and behaviour.
- -Basic microbiology; culture media and their use; common micro pathogens, endo- and ecto-parasites related to companion animal practice
-Management of in-house animal diagnostics samples and laboratory procedures (blood, urine, skin, faeces), including labelling and storage; performing a range of common diagnostic samples; hygiene
-Assisting with animal diagnostic imaging (animal patient positioning, equipment); health & safety of diagnostic imaging techniques; animal patient preparation for diagnostic techniques (positioning, equipment, asepsis)
-Professional practice attributes: Compliance with workplace health and safety requirements; knowledge of relevant legislation and animal welfare standards; sustainable practice; effective communication skills; professional and ethical behaviour; cultural recognition and sensitivity; teamwork; accurate record-keeping.
- Teaching and Learning Strategy
- Learning will be facilitated using a range of teaching and learning methods, which may include: tutor facilitated and directed presentations and/or lectures, laboratory or practical sessions and activities, demonstrations, online learning activities, scenarios and case studies.
- Assessment Criteria
- Assessment 1Portfolio of evidence100
- Learning and Teaching Resource
- Wintec Animal House
Wintec teaching surgery and labs
Industry work placement
An extended reading list will be supplied by the tutor at commencement of the module. This will be updated annually.