ANML503 – Applied Animal Behaviour and Handling
Please contact the Student Enrolment & Information Centre to determine a module's availability
Applied Animal Behaviour and Handling
To provide students with the necessary knowledge, attributes and skills to identify and evaluate behaviours in common companion animals and apply appropriate low-stress handling techniques. Includes 40 hours of work placement.
- Directed hours
- Self directed hours
- Total learning hours
- Learning Outcomes
- 1:Distinguish between normal and abnormal behaviour in common companion animals
2:Perform behavioural assessment of common companion animals to inform appropriate patient care, handling and monitoring
3:Apply low-stress handling and restraint techniques in common companion animals
4:Maintain appropriate workplace standards of professional practice and behaviour
- -Common developmental problems of companion animals.
-Conducting basic behavioural assessments of companion animal species and associated terminology; common causes and signs of abnormal behaviour; changes in behaviour associated with ill health; behavioural issues requiring referral to a qualified expert.
-Methods of stress reduction for companion animal species in a clinic and hospital setting.
-Application of low stress handling and restraint techniques on live animals (restraint, restraint for procedures, lifting, moving animals).
-Professional practice attributes: Compliance with workplace health and safety requirements; knowledge of relevant legislation and animal welfare standards; sustainable practice; effective communication skills; professional and ethical behaviour; cultural recognition and sensitivity; teamwork; accurate record-keeping.
- Teaching and Learning Strategy
- Learning will be facilitated using a range of teaching and learning methods, which may include: tutor facilitated and directed presentations and/or lectures, tutorial sessions, practical or workshop sessions and activities , guest speakers from industry, demonstrations, online learning activities and scenarios and case studies.
- Assessment Criteria
- Assessment 1Portfolio of evidence100
- Learning and Teaching Resource
- Wintec Animal House
Wintec Teaching Surgery and Labs
Industry Work placements
An extended reading list will be supplied by the tutor at commencement of the module. This will be updated annually.