Strong demand for pharmacists
Chances of getting a job as a pharmacist are good due to:
- an ageing population, which means an increased demand for health care of all types
- an increase in long-term conditions such as diabetes that put extra demand on services
- a shift to pharmacists treating minor ailments, doing tests and vaccinations, prescribing some medicine and doing health checks.
Pharmacist appears on Immigration New Zealand's Green List. This means the Government is actively encouraging skilled pharmacists from overseas to work in New Zealand.
According to the Census, 3,576 pharmacists worked in New Zealand in 2018.
Pharmacists mostly work in community pharmacies
Pharmacists mostly work in community pharmacies.
They can also work for:
- Te Whatu Ora
- universities and polytechnics
- pharmaceutical companies.