Limited vacancies for environmental/public health officers
Opportunities for environmental/public health officers are average because:
- people tend to stay in the role for a long time, limiting vacancies
- the occupation is relatively small, and the number of people in the job has stayed steady.
Chances of finding work are best in the main city centres of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.
According to the Census, 657 environmental/public health officers worked in New Zealand in 2018.
Types of employers varied
Sixty percent of environmental/public health officers work for local and regional councils.
They may also work for:
- district health boards in public health units (as health protection officers)
- private companies
- the New Zealand Defence Force
- government organisations such as the Ministry for Primary Industries