Good demand for youth workers
Demand for youth workers is good due to:
- more organisations recognising the importance of providing services to young people
- more youth workers being recruited into multi-disciplinary teams where people in a variety of roles work with young people
- a high turnover of youth workers creating vacancies.
Half of all youth workers are under the age of 35.
According to the Census, 2,379 youth workers worked in New Zealand in 2018.
Volunteering can help you get into youth work
Youth work volunteering will give you hands-on experience and increase your chance of getting paid work.
Contact youth organisations directly or ask at your local volunteer centre.
Types of employers varied
Youth workers may start with volunteer or casual work.
They may work for:
- local and central government
- charitable or religious trusts and marae
- schools, education or community facilities and youth clubs
- live-in or justice institutions
- kaupapa Māori organisations.