High demand for psychologists
Clinical psychologist, Educational psychologist, Organisational psychologist and "Psychologist nec" (not elsewhere classified) appear on Immigration New Zealand's Green List. This means the Government is actively encouraging skilled psychologists from overseas to work in New Zealand.
Opportunities for psychologists are good due to:
- increasing demand for psychologists in New Zealand and globally
- the limited number of people who are accepted into, or graduate from, psychology courses each year.
According to the Census, 2,663 psychologists worked in New Zealand in 2018.
Types of employers varied
Psychologists can work for a range of employers, including:
- district health boards
- government departments such as Department of Corrections, Ministry of Education, Oranga Tamariki – Ministry for Children, ACC and the New Zealand Defence Force
- iwi organisations
- private sector organisations
- addiction, trauma and abuse centres
- universities and polytechnics, as lecturers, advisers and counsellors.
Psychologists can also be self-employed in private psychology consultancies.