I graduated in 2017 as the student speaker, Personal Trainer of the year, and the Stuart McLean Memorial Award winner for contribution to study. I am also a three-time National award winner at the New Zealand Exercise Industry Awards. In 2016 I was awarded Student of the year, in 2017 Up and Coming Personal Trainer of the year, and in 2018 I received a special award for community contribution.
I am also about to start up-skilling - Over the next 18 months I am studying the New Zealand Certificate in Adult and Tertiary Teaching (Level 5) and Te Tauihu which builds capability in tikanga and Te reo through teaching and learning in a bicultural context.
What do you enjoy most about being a tutor?
Being a tutor takes two of my passions (Personal Training and Public Speaking/Workshops) and ties them together in one amazing role. It’s a job that you need to love, so that your students get the best of you.
My role is to educate, inspire, motivate and develop future Exercise industry professionals, so I love having the opportunity to take my industry and educational knowledge and being able to pass it onto them.
My goal is for all my students to graduate with the skills, tools and most importantly, the confidence to go out into the world and own whatever space they decide to work in. Seeing my students succeed is what drives me and makes me so passionate about my work.
Areas of expertise
Industry experience, affiliations and achievements
I also have my own business Your Way Wellbeing, where I am a Personal Trainer, Wellbeing Coach, Public Speaker and run workshops. I have spoken for organisations such as Waikato Queer Youth, Seed Waikato, The Waterboy, Waikato University and FitEx.
I contract to the Waikato DHB delivering wellbeing programmes across all their mental health wards including Puawai Forensic Services, the Henry Rongomau Bennet Centre and Community Integrated Rehabilitation.
- Student of the Year – 2016 New Zealand Exercise Industry AwardsPersonal Trainer of the year – 2017 Wintec Sports Awards
- Stuart MacLean Memorial Cup – 2017 Wintec Sports Awards
- Student Speaker – 2017 Sport science and Human performance graduation ceremony
- Up and Coming Personal Trainer of the Year – 2017 New Zealand exercise Industry Awards
- Creating our Futures advisory Board – Project for change in mental health and Addiction Services.
- Waikato Queer Youth (WaQuY) – Youth Mentor
- INSPO Fitness Journal – Wellbeing Columnist
- The Waterboy – Everyone’s Game – Speaker Series addressing homophobia in sports at secondary schools within the Waikato.