- Master of Nursing, University of Southern Queensland, 2005.
- Bachelor of Nursing, Wintec, 1997.
- Certificate in Adult Learning and Tertiary Teaching, Auckland Institute of Technology, 1993.
- Registered Nurse, Waikato Hospital, 1971.
Industry Experience, Affiliations and Achievements
- Approved assessor for the Nursing Council of New Zealand.
- Involved in Nursing Council audits for other agencies.
- Developed links with industry, especially in aged care.
Areas of Expertise and Research
- Coordination of Bachelor of Nursing, Diploma of Enrolled Nursing and Return to Nursing clinical placements.
- Introduction to Nursing.
- Aged care and rehabilitation.
‘Working with SAM: Describing experiences setting up student allocator’. Presented at the Australasian Nurse Educators Conference, Auckland, 2015.
‘Working collaboratively to enhance student practicum experience’. Poster presented at the Australasian Nurse Educators Conference, Auckland, 2015.
‘An educational framework to enhance nursing students’ clinical experience and learning.’ Presented at the Australasian Nurse Educators Conference, 2011.
‘How well prepared are Wintec graduates for working in aged care/dementia environments’. Presented at the Australasian Nurse Educators Conference, Sydney, 2008. Voucher project, 2010-2011.
Bland, M., Oakley, D., Earl, B., & Lichtwark, S. (n.d). Examining the barriers to RN transition for students on competency assessment programmes: Research into a competency assessment programme for both New Zealand nurses returning to nursing and nurses from non-English speaking backgrounds wanting New Zealand registration has revealed a range of issues affecting a smooth transition to registered nurse practice. Kai Tiaki New Zealand, 15(5), 24-25.