- Master of Nursing, University of Southern Queensland, 2005.
- Bachelor of Nursing, Wintec, 1997.
- Certificate in Adult Learning and Tertiary Teaching, Auckland Institute of Technology, 1993.
- Registered Nurse, Waikato Hospital, 1971.
Industry experience, affiliations and achievements
- Approved assessor for the Nursing Council of New Zealand.
- Involved in Nursing Council audits for other agencies.
- Developed links with industry, especially in aged care.
Areas of expertise and research
- Coordination of Bachelor of Nursing, Diploma of Enrolled Nursing and Return to Nursing clinical placements.
- Introduction to Nursing.
- Aged care and rehabilitation.
- Working with SAM: Describing experiences setting up student allocator’. Presented at the Australasian Nurse Educators Conference, Auckland, 2015.
- ‘Working collaboratively to enhance student practicum experience’. Poster presented at the Australasian Nurse Educators Conference, Auckland, 2015.
- ‘An educational framework to enhance nursing students’ clinical experience and learning.’ Presented at the Australasian Nurse Educators Conference, 2011.
- ‘How well prepared are Wintec graduates for working in aged care/dementia environments’. Presented at the Australasian Nurse Educators Conference, Sydney, 2008. Voucher project, 2010-2011.
- Bland, M., Oakley, D., Earl, B., & Lichtwark, S. (n.d). Examining the barriers to RN transition for students on competency assessment programmes: Research into a competency assessment programme for both New Zealand nurses returning to nursing and nurses from non-English speaking backgrounds wanting New Zealand registration has revealed a range of issues affecting a smooth transition to registered nurse practice. Kai Tiaki New Zealand, 15(5), 24-25.