- Study at Wintec
- Centre for Health and Social Practice
- Our Staff
- Paula Cox
Senior Academic Staff Member
- Registered Nurse
- Bachelor of Social Science, 1994, University of Waikato
- Bachelor of Midwifery, 2000, Wintec
- Certificate of Adult Teaching, 2004, Wintec
- Certificate of Adult Tertiary Education, 2006, Wintec
- Postgraduate Diploma Midwifery, 2006, Auckland University of Technology
- Master of Health Science – Midwifery (Hons), 2008, Auckland University of Technology
Areas of Expertise
- Midwifery Practice: As required by the Midwifery Council of New Zealand to maintain an Annual Practicing Certificate across the scope of practice
- Midwifery Education
Industry Experience, Affiliation and Achievements
- Membership of New Zealand College of Midwives
- Participation in New Zealand College of Midwives meetings
- Participation in Collaboration Forum with Waikato DHB and Community Midwives
Research and Scholarly Activity
- Paula’s current research focus is birthing in primary birthing units from women and midwives’ perspectives. The research ‘An exploration of the reasons women and midwives choose to birth in primary units in the Waikato region’ is a Midwifery Team project. It is expected that the research will be completed in July 2016 and submitted for publication. An abstract will be submitted for presentation of the research at the New Zealand College of Midwives Conference in Auckland 2016.
- Recent publication ‘Women’s choices and experiences of using birthing pools’ Sept. 2015, in the online Journal Dynamics of Human Health 2(3). Feedback forms to a Birthing Pool provider provide unique insight into women’s use of birthing pools as part of their homebirth planning and experience.
- Master’s Thesis ‘The experience of midwives leaving Lead Maternity Carer (LMCs) practice; a phenomenological study’. Findings from this research have been published in the NZCOM Journal and presented at the New Zealand College of Midwives Conference 2010.
- Bachelor of Midwifery Programme: Development of evaluations to meet the Competencies for Entry to the Register of Midwives, moderation of evaluations, curriculum development and review