- Ngāti Pū,
- Ngai Te Rangi, and
- Te Whānau a Tauwhao,Ngāti Rangitihi.
- 2019 Recipient of Auckland District Health Board Te Kauae Raro Māori Nursing Award.
- 2011-2013 Recipient of Doctoral Scholarship University of Auckland.
- 2002 ACC Healthwise Scholar in Health Service Management.
- RGON, New Zealand, 1984
- BA, Massey, 1998
- LLB, University of Auckland, 2006
- PG Dip Health Service Management (Dist.), Massey, 2002
- MMgt (Health Service Management Dist.), Massey, 2008
- PhD in Health Science, University of Auckland, 2014
Areas of expertise
Industry experience, affiliations and achievements
- 2010-2014 Co-Principal Investigator Māori, Shorter Stays in ED National Research Project (Health Research Council funded project).
Professional and research interests:
- Māori health
- Public policy
- Health policy
- Māori nursing
- Indigenous health and nursing
- Chalmers, L. (2020). Responding to the State of the World’s Nursing 2020 report in Aotearoa New Zealand: Aligning the nursing workforce to universal health coverage and health equity. Nursing Praxis in Aotearoa New
Zealand 36 (2), 7-19.
- Tenbensel, T., Jones, P., Chalmers, L. et al. (2020). If Gaming is the Problem, Is “Complexity Thinking” the Answer? A Response to the Recent Commentaries. International Journal of Health Policy and Management (IJHPM). 10.34172/ijhpm.2020.95
- Tenbensel, T., Jones, P., Chalmers, L. et al. (2019). Gaming New Zealand’s Emergency Department Target: How and Why Did It Vary Over Time and Between Organisations? International Journal of Health Policy and Management (IJHPM) 9. 10.15171/ijhpm.2019.98
- Chalmers, L. M., Tenbensel, T. & Aston, T. (2017). Measuring and managing health system performance: An update from New Zealand. Health Policy 121(8): 831-835. 10.1016/j.healthpol.2017.05.012.
- Tenbensel, T., Chalmers.L., Jones, P., et al. (2017). New Zealand's emergency department target - Did it reduce ED length of stay, and if so, how and when". BMC Health Services Research 17. 10.1186/s12913-017-2617-1
- Tenbensel, T., Chalmers, L. & Willing, E. (2016). Comparing the implementation consequences of the immunisation and emergency department health targets in New Zealand: A Tale of Two Targets. Journal of Health Organisation and Management 30. 10.1108/JHOM-08-2015-0126
- Chalmers, L.M. (2014). Inside the Black box of Emergency Department Time Target Implementation in New Zealand. Doctoral Thesis University of Auckland.
- Jones, P., Chalmers, L., Wells, S., et al. (2012). Implementing performance improvement in New Zealand emergency departments: the six hour time target policy national research
project protocol. BMC Health Services Research, 12 (1): 45.
What do you enjoy about teaching/your job?
What do you love about your area?
Tell us about your experience in the industry
My industry experience includes:
- Emergency nursing
- Medical & surgical nursing
- Nursing management
- Nursing workforce development
- Māori nursing workforce development