Team Manager, Postgraduate Studies
- MA (Applied) Nsg, 2005, Victoria University Wellington (VUW )
- B Nsg, 1992, VUW
- ADN, 1985, Wellington Polytechnic
- RSCN, 1979, South Lothian College
- RGN, 1977, Greater Glasgow Health Board
- Certificate in Adult and Tertiary Teaching, 2007, Wintec
Area of Expertise
As the leader of the postgraduate programme Helen aims to create a positive environment within which people feel motivated and enabled to be innovative in their approaches to education that meets the needs of students and health and social service providers.
- Curriculum development
- Programme quality management of teaching and learning
- Resource management
- Nursing education and policy development through national and international relations and networks.
- Academic Counselling for career development
Industry Experience, Affiliation and Achievements
- 23 years of clinical practice and nursing leadership experience of caring for children and their families in hospitals and the community, prior to taking up a position in nursing education in 2000.
- Wintec 2009 nominated for Innovation and Excellence award.
- Wintec 2007 nomination for a Learning and Teaching award.
- Paediatric Society of New Zealand
- 1999-current Membership: Nurses for children and Young people Aotearoa/ New Zealand (NZNO)
Research and Scholarly Activity
Research interest is the Mother Nurse relationship in caring for the sick child. In more recent years Helen has developed an interest in diabetes arising from the collaborative relationship developed between Waikato Diabetes Service and Wintec.
Supervision of student research
- Participation in journal clubs
- Scientific Review conference committee
- Peer esteem activities
Greenwood, S., Wright, T., & Nielsen. H. (2006) Highlights form the 7th International Family Nurse Conference: Plenary Address: Conversations in Context and Reflexivity in Child and Family Health Nursing. Journal of Family Nursing for publication in June 2006 issue. Referred Journal
- New Zealand Society for the Study of Diabetes Conference May 3 - 6, 2011,Nelson, New Zealand.
Poster: Education for care and management of diabetes: An exemplar. Nielsen, H. and Ryan, S.
- Referred International Conference: E-learning World Conference on E-learning in Corporate, Government, Health Care and Higher Education. Quebec City, Canada. 15-19 October 2007. Gower, B., Nielsen, H and Dannenfeldt, G.
- Referred International Conference: 9th Biennial International Paediatric and child health Nurses Confernce. Melbourne, Australia 17-19 May 2006. Nielsen, H.
- Refereed International Conference: 7th International Family Nurse Conference, Opening Spaces: Inviting Dialogue in Family Nursing 1-4 June 2005. Victoria BC Canada.
- Invited Plenary session: Conversations in Context: Cultural Safety & Reflexivity in Child and Family Nursing, Greenwood, S., Nielsen, H & Wright,T.
- Refereed International Child and Youth Conference, Victoria, Canada. May 2003 Title: professional Education for Advanced Practice in Child and Family. Helen Nielsen & Sallie Greenwood.
- Nursing Education: Decisions for the Future – forum two (post-registration education) What do we know now and what do we need to know? Quality Hotel Wellington, 223 Cuba Street, Wellington Friday 8 April 2011
- (2007-2009) Child Health Forums. Pinnacle Primary Health Care Nurses Workshops. Waikato Primary Health Care Organisation. Hamilton.