- Master of Philosophy in Nursing (Distinction), Massey University, 1995.
- Bachelor of Social Science in Nursing and Education, University of Waikato, 1991.
- Certificate of Tertiary Teaching, Auckland Institute of Technology, 1990.
- Advanced Diploma in Nursing, Wintec, 1986.
- Registered Nurse.
Industry experience, affiliations and achievements
- 17 years of experience in critical care nursing.
- 15 years of experience in nursing education, including:
- Research methods
- Law and bioethics
- Medical-surgical nursing
- 15 years in nursing management and leadership.
- Northern Regional representative for Nurse Educators in the Tertiary Sector (NETS), 2016.
- Organising Committee Member for the Australasian Nurse Educators Conference, 2015.
- Staff representative on the Wintec Council.
- Committee member on the Wintec Human Ethics Committee.
- Gallagher Award for Excellence and Leadership recipient, Wintec, 2012.
Areas of expertise and research
- Nursing education, policy, research and leadership.
- Collaboration between disciplines.
- Continuous quality improvement.
- Enhancing student success in programmes and flexible teaching strategies.
- Clinical learning environments (Dedicated Education Units).
- Interprofessional education in health and social practice settings.
- Clinical and academic partnerships for enhanced workforce development.
- Integrated learning in nursing education curricula.
- Co-creative partnership for practice: An application of Dedicated Education Units (DEU)’. Presented at the Interprofessional Symposium, Wintec, 2016, with Atherfold, C., and Stewart, A.
- ‘Dedicated Education Units in older persons and rehabilitation settings’. Presented at the Technology Enabled Solutions Symposium and Trade Show, Wintec, 2016, with Atherfold, C.
- Research undertaken with Dairy Group NZ into the mental health of dairy farmers in New Zealand, 2016, with Te Huia, M.
- ‘Co-creative partnership for practice’. Presented at the Australasian Nurse Educators Conference, 2015, with Atherfold, C., and Stewart, A.
- Atherfold, C., Birks, G., & Clayton, J. (2016). Dedicated Education Units and their impact on patient outcomes. Article in press.