- Master of Philosophy in Nursing (Distinction), Massey University, 1995.
- Bachelor of Social Science in Nursing and Education, University of Waikato, 1991.
- Certificate of Tertiary Teaching, Auckland Institute of Technology, 1990.
- Advanced Diploma in Nursing, Wintec, 1986.
- Registered Nurse.
Industry Experience, Affiliations and Achievements
- 17 years of experience in critical care nursing.
- 15 years of experience in nursing education, including:
- Research methods
- Law and bioethics
- Medical-surgical nursing
- 15 years in nursing management and leadership.
- Northern Regional representative for Nurse Educators in the Tertiary Sector (NETS), 2016.
- Organising Committee Member for the Australasian Nurse Educators Conference, 2015.
- Staff representative on the Wintec Council.
- Committee member on the Wintec Human Ethics Committee.
- Gallagher Award for Excellence and Leadership recipient, Wintec, 2012.
Areas of Expertise and Research
- Nursing education, policy, research and leadership.
- Collaboration between disciplines.
- Continuous quality improvement.
- Enhancing student success in programmes and flexible teaching strategies.
- Clinical learning environments (Dedicated Education Units).
- Interprofessional education in health and social practice settings.
- Clinical and academic partnerships for enhanced workforce development.
- Integrated learning in nursing education curricula.
‘Co-creative partnership for practice: An application of Dedicated Education Units (DEU)’. Presented at the Interprofessional Symposium, Wintec, 2016, with Atherfold, C., and Stewart, A.
‘Dedicated Education Units in older persons and rehabilitation settings’. Presented at the Technology Enabled Solutions Symposium and Trade Show, Wintec, 2016, with Atherfold, C.
Research undertaken with Dairy Group NZ into the mental health of dairy farmers in New Zealand, 2016, with Te Huia, M.
‘Co-creative partnership for practice’. Presented at the Australasian Nurse Educators Conference, 2015, with Atherfold, C., and Stewart, A.
Atherfold, C., Birks, G., & Clayton, J. (2016). Dedicated Education Units and their impact on patient outcomes. Article in press.