- Master of Education.
- Postgraduate Certificate in Teaching (Tertiary), University of Waikato, 2011.
- Postgraduate Certificate of Midwifery, Otago Polytechnic, 2007.
- Bachelor of Midwifery, Wintec, 2004.
- Registered midwife.
- Diploma of Midwifery, Pembury Hospital, United Kingdom, 1989.
- Registered nurse, Taranaki Polytechnic, 1984.
Industry Experience, Affiliations and Achievements
- 20+ years of experience in midwifery, including:
- Most of career spent as a Lead Maternity Carer
- Experience in primary and secondary midwifery care through work at River Ridge Birth Centre and Waikato Hospital.
- Branch member of the New Zealand College of Midwives.
- Award for Excellence in the use of Turnitin in the Australasia Region recipient, 2015.
- Teaching Excellence Award recipient, Wintec, 2011.
- Undertaking of peer assessment work on behalf of the Midwifery Council of New Zealand.
Areas of Expertise and Research
- Breastfeeding, infant nutrition, normal birth and post-natal care.
- Use of technology to support learning.
‘Immunisation and midwives: An exploratory study’. Presented at the New Zealand College of Midwives Biennial Conference, Wellington, 2012.
Masters study included examining practice assessments in undergraduate midwifery programmes.
Shahatahmasebi, S., van den Berg, L., & Hermann, F. (2011). What do you do when no health and social agency wants to care for you? Int J Child Health Hum Dev, 4(2), 251-257.
Hermann, F. (2010). Adoption and midwives. Midwifery News, 58, 35.
Hermann, F., Milne, T., & James, L. (2010). Metamorphosis: Becoming a midwifery educator in the age of technology.