Senior Academic Staff Member
- RN (1984) Taranaki Polytechnic
- Dip Midwifery (1989) Pembury Hospital United Kingdom
- BMid (2004) Wintec
- PG Cert Midwifery (2007) Otago Polytechnic
- PG Cert Tertiary Teaching (2011) Waikato University
Areas of Expertise
- Teaches across the three years of the B Mid programme
- Fiona has a particular interest in the area of breastfeeding, infant nutrition, normal birth and post-natal care.
- Use of technology to support learning and the scholarship of teaching
Industry Experience, Affiliation and Achievements
- Active member of NZ College of Midwives (currently vice chair)
- Has worked for most of midwifery career (20+ years) as a Lead Maternity Carer
- Also experienced in primary and secondary midwifery care with experience at River Ridge Birth Centre and Waikato Hospital
- Awarded Teaching Excellence award from Wintec in 2011
Research and Scholarly Activity
Recent presentations include:
- Shahatahmasebi S., van den Berg L., Hermann F. (2011) What do you do when no health and social agency wants to care for you? Int J Child Health Hum Dev; 4(2):251-257.
- Hermann, F. (2010). Adoption and midwives. Midwifery News, 58: 35.
- Hermann, Fiona and Milne, Tania and James, Liz (2010) Metamorphosis: Becoming a midwifery educator in the age of technology.
- Teaching large groups: a presentation for Inspire Festival (2010)