- Postgraduate Certificate in Professional Supervision
- Doctor of Philosophy in Nursing, Massey University
- Master of Education, Massey University, 1998
- Bachelor of Arts in Social Sciences & Nursing, Massey University, 1994
- Certification of Tertiary Teaching, Auckland Institute of Technology, 1990
- Registered nurse
Industry experience, affiliations and achievements
- 25+ years in nursing education, working previously at the Waiāriki Institute of Technology and the Eastern Institute of Technology, and in surgical and ostomy care
- Clinical Nurse Educator at Tairawhiti District Health Board, Gisborne, 1996-2000
- Fellow of the College of Nurses Aotearoa (Inc)
Areas of expertise and research
- Nursing education, research and leadership
- Mentorship and supervising of colleagues’ and postgraduate students’ work
- Curriculum development
- Current work focuses on how health professionals can address those whose partners are compromised by life threatening illness, most recently those whose partners have Parkinson’s disease.
- Peer reviewer of The Journal of Nursing Education and Practice, Canada.
- Peer reviewer of The International Journal of Neuroscience, America.
- Peer reviewer of Health Promotion International, America.
- Peer reviewer of Nursing Praxis in New Zealand Inc., New Zealand.
- Supervision of two students, each completing a 30 credit project as partial completion of the Master of Nursing, Wintec, 2015.
- ‘The power of posters as a dynamic means of sharing and advancing knowledge’. Presented at the Australasian Nurse Educators Conference, Auckland, 2015, with Schollum, L.
- ‘Collaboration in evaluating Healthy Eating Healthy Action projects’. Presented at the 5th Annual Health Research Seminar, Lakes District Health Board, 2011, with Morrison, L., Riini, D., McPherson, B., and Hamerton, H.
- Mercer, C., & Best, G. Parkinson’s disease: The support partner’s role in the person with Parkinson’s levels of wellness. In Rehabilitation of Parkinson’s disease (chapter three). Berlin, Germany: Avid Science. In press.
- Mercer, C., & Best, G. Parkinson’s disease and burden of care indices: Understanding support partners’ stress. International Journal of Therapy and Rehabilitation. Under review.
- Mercer, C. (2015). The impact of non-motor manifestations of Parkinson’s disease on partners: Understanding and application of chronic sorrow theory. Journal of Primary Health Care, 7(3), 221-227.
- Mercer, C. (2013). Cultivating nurses’ potential to incorporate assessment and minimisation of the consequences of the effects of illness into presence. Journal of Nursing Education Practice, 3(6).
- Hamerton, H., Mercer, C., Riini, D., McPherson, B., & Morrison, L. (2012). Evaluating Māori community initiatives to promote healthy eating, healthy action. Health Promotion International, 29(1), 60-90.
- Mercer, C., Riini, D., Hamerton, H., Morrison, L., & McPherson, B. (2011). Evaluating healthy eating healthy action programs in small Māori communities, in Aotearoa, New Zealand. Australian Journal of Primary Health, 19(1), 74-80.