- Postgraduate Diploma in Strategic Management (Distinction), University of Waikato, 2011.
- Graduate Diploma in Social Sciences in Social Policy and Social Work, Massey University, 1993.
- Master of Social Science in Psychology, University of Waikato, 1992.
- Bachelor of Social Science in Psychology, University of Waikato, 1975.
- Registered psychologist.
- Registered social worker.
Industry Experience, Affiliations and Achievements
- Nominee for the Ako Aotearoa National Tertiary Teaching Excellence Award, 2011.
- Winner of the Waikato Institute of Technology Teaching Excellence Award, Wintec, 2010.
- Winner of the Alfred Marshall Prize in Management Studies, University of Waikato, 1993.
‘The use of film as a teaching tool in social work education: An investigative study’. Presented at the Social Workers Registration Conference: “Protecting the Public – Enhancing the Profession”, Wellington, 2013.
‘What transferrable skills are industry stakeholders requiring on social work graduates?’ Presented at the Aotearoa New Zealand Association of Social Workers Conference, 2006.
‘Multisystemic therapy treatment’. Presented at the New Zealand Association of Child and Family Support & Community Services Conference, Auckland, New Zealand, 2002.
‘Development of an assessment tool – from a deficit to a strength perspective.’ Presented at the Aotearoa New Zealand Association of Social Workers Biannual Conference, Auckland, New Zealand, 2000.
Shaw, W. (1997). An investigation into the training needs of managers in the voluntary welfare sector. New Zealand Social Work Review, 31-38.
Shaw, W., & Hills, M. (1991). The Department of Social Welfare volunteer social worker: A profile. New Zealand Social Work Review, 4, 28-40.