- Postgraduate Diploma in Strategic Management (Distinction), University of Waikato, 2011.
- Graduate Diploma in Social Sciences in Social Policy and Social Work, Massey University, 1993.
- Master of Social Science in Psychology, University of Waikato, 1992.
- Bachelor of Social Science in Psychology, University of Waikato, 1975.
- Registered psychologist.
- Registered social worker.
Areas of expertise
Industry experience, affiliations and achievements
- Nominee for the Ako Aotearoa National Tertiary Teaching Excellence Award, 2011.
- Winner of the Waikato Institute of Technology Teaching Excellence Award, Wintec, 2010.
- Winner of the Alfred Marshall Prize in Management Studies, University of Waikato, 1993.
- ‘The use of film as a teaching tool in social work education: An investigative study’. Presented at the Social Workers Registration Conference: “Protecting the Public – Enhancing the Profession”, Wellington, 2013.
- ‘What transferrable skills are industry stakeholders requiring on social work graduates?’ Presented at the Aotearoa New Zealand Association of Social Workers Conference, 2006.
- ‘Multisystemic therapy treatment’. Presented at the New Zealand Association of Child and Family Support & Community Services Conference, Auckland, New Zealand, 2002.
- ‘Development of an assessment tool – from a deficit to a strength perspective.’ Presented at the Aotearoa New Zealand Association of Social Workers Biannual Conference, Auckland, New Zealand, 2000.
- Shaw, W. (1997). An investigation into the training needs of managers in the voluntary welfare sector. New Zealand Social Work Review, 31-38.
- Shaw, W., & Hills, M. (1991). The Department of Social Welfare volunteer social worker: A profile. New Zealand Social Work Review, 4, 28-40.