New Zealand Diploma in Architectural Technology (Level 6)
- Semester 1 starts 15 February 2017
- Two years full-time, or part-time equivalent
- Fee Guideline: $6,796 (per year) (International students: Please click here for fee information)*
- Rotokauri Campus, Hamilton
Do you love design and have an eye for detail? You’d make a great Architectural Technician!
Architectural technicians interpret sketches and designs produced by an architect, architectural designer or client. They make working drawings, such as floor plans, elevations, sections and details, and associated documentation of buildings.
Wintec’s New Zealand Diploma in Architectural Technology (Level 6) will get you involved in this dynamic industry!
This programme will equip you, under appropriate supervision, to act as an Architectural Technician in small to medium scale building projects. Once you're experienced, you will be able to extend your work to include larger and more complex building projects.
You will study a range of modules which will teach you to:
- Research, prepare and communicate design and construction documents for small to medium scale projects
- Assist with researching, preparing and communicating design and construction documentation for large or complex building projects
- Assist with general practice management
- Demonstrate aural, oral and written communication skills in both formal and informal styles
- Demonstrate social, legal and cultural contextual knowledge
The New Zealand Diploma in Architectural Technology (Level 6) may lead to employment as an Architectural Draughtsman, Building and Design Technician or other design and construction disciplines.
Learning by Doing
Throughout the programme you’ll use the latest computers and CAD software. You’ll visit construction sites to complete problem-based and practical assignments.
You’ll build a scale model house that complies with current industry standards and New Zealand legislation.
Industry Tutors and Connections
Wintec’s dedicated and enthusiastic tutors have current industry connections. Some of them are members of The NZ Institute of Architects while others are involved in current research projects.
With Wintec’s strong industry connections and awesome learning environment you’ll remain focused and motivated all the way to graduation day.
Flexibility to Fit Your Life
Components of this programme are on Moodle, Wintec’s online education system. That means you can plan your study around other commitments, or take on part-time employment through our industry connections while you study.
Candidates are required to have gained
- a minimum of 48 credits in NCEA Level 2 in four subjects, including a total of at least 12 credits in English and 12 credits in a combination of Algebra and Trigonometry; or
- have gained New Zealand Sixth Form Certificate in at least three subjects, with a grade of 5 or better in each subject (including English and Mathematics); or
- have gained the New Zealand Trade Certificate in Carpentry or the National Certificate in Carpentry; or
- be able to demonstrate equivalent industry knowledge and skills; or
- have gained the Wintec Certificate in Technology (Level 4) or an equivalent foundation programme
Alternatively, candidates who do not meet the above entry requirements may be granted entry into the programme after an interview to determine reasonable likelihood of success in the programme. Recommendations and/or requirements around supplementary learning or entry requirements may be made on an individual basis.
In addition, Candidates who have English as a second language are required to have an International English Language Test System (IELTS) minimum score of 6.0 across all bands; or equivalent.
Need help? Want to know how to get started?
Leave your details here and we will come back to you: