Graduate Diploma in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (Level 7)
(incorporating the Graduate Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages GradCertTESOL (Level 7)
- Semester 1 starts 20 February 2017
- Semester 2 starts 24 July or 25 July 2017
- Grad Cert
TESOL :One semester full-time, one or two years part-time.
- Grad Dip TESOL: One year full-time, two years or longer part-time
- Fee Guideline: $6,200 (Per Semester) (International students: Please click here for fee information)
- City Campus, Hamilton
Apply for the Ministry of Education Scholarship
The Graduate Certificate and Diploma in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (Level 7) are qualifications designed to train you to work with people learning English as a second or additional language. The Grad Cert TESOL and Grad Dip TESOL programmes are suitable for trained teachers as well as those with little or no teaching experience, including university graduates and others who are interested in working in this field.
If you are currently teaching in primary, secondary and tertiary education you will be able to apply and integrate specialist knowledge and practical skills relating to teaching English to speakers of other languages to the students you teach.
If you have limited teaching experience, or are not currently teaching, you will be able to observe English Language teaching and learning in a range of authentic classrooms and you will complete a supervised teaching practicum with adult learners.
You will gain knowledge and practical skills relating to teaching English to speakers of other languages (ESOL) as well as the experience of applying and integrating these into particular teaching contexts. You will gain knowledge of English linguistics, learners and language learning processes, and language teaching methodology. You will also gain the experience of beginning to learn a new language and reflecting on your own language learning, and apply this experience to teaching those who are learning English as a second or additional language.
If exiting the programme after the successful completion of the first five modules, students are awarded the Graduate Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of other Languages (Grad Cert TESOL Level 7).
The Graduate Certificate (Level 7) and Graduate Diploma in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (Level 7) may lead to employment teaching English to English language learners in the primary, secondary and tertiary education sectors in New Zealand or overseas.
- Candidates who have a professional teaching qualification suitable for registration as a teacher or who have a Level 7 degree qualification, are eligible for entry into this programme without completing a selection task.
- Candidates who do not have either a professional teaching qualification for registration as a teacher or a Level 7 degree qualification are required to attend an interview and complete a selection test to demonstrate written literacy and language analysis skills at a level suitable for classroom language teaching.
- Candidates who have English as a second language are required to have an International English Language Test System (IELTS) score of 6.0, with no individual band score lower than 5.5; or equivalent.
- Special admission may be granted to candidates aged 20 years or over who do not meet the specified entry requirements. These candidates may be required to demonstrate an ability to successfully complete the programme through a process of an interview and/or assessment.
Download the full programme regulations:
Scheduling and Workload
The TESOL programme is run over a 15-week semester. In general, there is one three-hour class for each module taken, although two of the modules have some extra time required for certain parts of the semester. There is plenty of time between classes to work on assessment tasks.
Need help? Want to know how to get started?
Leave your details here and we will come back to you