Certificate in Adult Teaching
- Starts July or August 2017
- Fees Guideline: $778
- City Campus Hamilton
This qualification is designed for you if you are working with adults in a teaching or facilitating role. It is designed to provide you with the knowledge and skills so that you can become an effective teacher of adults.
The course is introductory, practical and emphasises the importance of planning, preparation and variety in teaching. It also involves reflecting on and developing personal skills; and is both challenging and enjoyable.
Upon successful completion of this course you will be awarded the Certificate in Adult Teaching qualification, and will also achieve Unit Standard 7102 and Unit Standard 7097.
Skills developed will include:
- Describing and applying key principles of the theories of adult learning;
- Establishing and maintaining a classroom environment
- Recognising barriers to communication and demonstrating effective questioning skills;
- Identifying criteria for learning outcomes
- Identifying, describing and demonstrating teaching strategies that promote student-centred learning
- Demonstrating an awareness of learning styles, and developing strategies for coping with students’ diverse needs
- Identifying strategies in the classroom relating to partnership in the Treaty of Waitangi
- Preparing and using effectively, a variety of visual aids and resources to assist learning
- Demonstrating the skills necessary for effective teaching by planning and presenting teaching sessions
This programme is offered in semester One and Two. Please enquire for course start dates and times.
Gaining a Certificate in Adult Teaching (CAT) from Wintec has given Nicki Tocker the motivation and confidence to put into practice, skills learned in her position as a full-time Youth Tutor.
“Participants consist of a large cross-section of adults from all types of workplaces, including company managers, trainers, health workers, continuing education tutors, Wintec staff and teachers. It was great to be able to bounce ideas off each other and to gain confidence and benefit from the ideas put forward”, Nicki said.
“The strategies learned have helped me enormously in my present career. The Wintec tutors are experienced and professional and always willing to help and encourage students”
Story courtesy of the Waikato Times.
This course is open entry. However, it is necessary to have effective reading, writing and oral skills. Please contact Wintec if you wish to discuss the preferred skills.
*This programme may be eligible for Student Loan when studying other courses in an approved programme. It is not Student Allowance approved. Please enquire for more details.
Need help? Want to know how to get started?
Leave your details here and we will come back to you.